2010年5月15日土曜日

The Incident of Bouillabaisse


The day before we arrived in Boston, the television news said it would be cold to the point of ¬-40 ℃. My cousin and I landed at the Boston airport which was covered by a lot of snow. Luckily for us the weather got nicer and nicer from that day. I jumped up and said “Boston! Boston!”, because I felt glad to have come there.
A black man walked by me.
“This is not Japan!” my cousin reproved me.
An accident happened the following day.
At night, after sightseeing in the city guided by my old friend who lived in Boston, we were brought to a lobster restaurant by a man who knew my cousin’s father.
It was next to another lobster restaurant which we had been brought to by a local couple the day before .I thought it was no problem, and I would eat it thankfully.
Because I felt full already, having eaten three kinds of fried food, I wanted to eat it too; therefore we ordered the fried oysters along with the lobster. Soon a waiter brought a dish of Bouillabaisse and put it in front of my cousin. She forget to share it with me, absorbed in talking with the man, ate all of it.
She took the half of the fried oysters which came afterwards to another dish, and put the dish where she could see it. And she ate that up too. I ate only half of and I felt crying.
The man gave us a ride, after dinner, to the hotel which we were staying. But he offered to show us the night view of Boston, and our car passed the hotel.
I cried tearfully, feeling sentimental, because I ate only a half plate of fried oysters and drank a few glasses of wine felt hungry. After we came back to the hotel, I said to her.
“We are going to travel together one more week, so I don’t like to be quiet about this, I want to say it now…We ordered Bouillabaisse together, didn’t we? Why did you eat it all by yourself? For there was another man, I couldn’t say that to you, and I’d already enough of fried food for lunch.”
“I’m sorry, but I have done that before. I have eaten up all dishes which I ordered with my friends. Wouldn’t you feel awful for food troubles? Aha ha…”
It was a joke but I felt like dying,
After sightseeing Boston, we flew to Rochester where my brother was studying. Taking care of my niece who had been born a month before, my cousin said to my brother and his wife the incident of Bouillabaisse.
I just laughed and didn’t say anything.
I thought remember it as a part of memory of the U.S.A. journey.
I thought again how delicious the Asian foods when my brother brought us to a Vietnamese restaurant which was the only Asian restaurant in the city. And probably in Boston, I think Lobster and Bouillabaisse which I could not eat would have been the most delicious food there.





.




   

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿